The Grants' African adventure

Chaos and disorder

20120613-221139.jpg

A ruined castle on the way to Como.

Today was the start of our European road trip. We started the day getting the Crichton girls off on their school camp, They’re off on a three day ride in the Alps, sleeping in farmhouse barns. Then we had to roll start the Crichton’s Campervan – flat battery. And then we were off, heading south to Switzerland.

Last year I drove the Icefields Parkway between Edmonton and Calgary, and around every turn pulled out the camera to take a photo of new scenery, that seemed more stunning than what had come before. Today was a similar experience.

20120613-221033.jpg

20120613-221248.jpg

We did a long and slow trawl down the mountains, dropping from 1600m above sea level to just 200m at Lake Como. We were waved through the border post into Italy, no passports required. First stop over the border for lunch was Cernobbio. Food in Italy is astonishingly cheap, and from what we’ve seen of liquor prices, that’s cheaper again. So we had a delicious lunch of roast chicken, chips and gelato on the shores of Lake Como for the princely sum of 15 Euro for the five of us.

Then we headed north to Domaso where we’re spending the night. Um, Italian roads are very narrow and chaotic, and though the trip was only 50km it was hectic and stressful. (Stunning scenery though). We made it to Domaso and checked in to a restored 17th Century Villa, three bedroom unit complete with spa and views over the lakes to the mountains.

We had one “adventure” which I’m sure Anne will elaborate on. We took the rather large Campervan up an exceedingly narrow, cobbled Italian laneway. Suffice to say it was too large and I had to back the vehicle all the way to where we’d come from, to the bemusement of locals. In future I will be less hard on some of the ridiculous things tourists get up to on the Blackall Range.

Dinner. We’ll we’re in Italy. How could we go past ridiculously cheap pizza on the shores of Lake Como with Euro 2012, complete with Italian commentary, in the background?

20120613-221415.jpg

Will sleep well today. Hopefully less narrow Italian roads and more Swiss highways lie ahead of us tomorrow!

Advertisements

8 responses

1. Sheila Grant

you all look so great, fab photos, and scenery….. what an adventure1!!. s.o.o. 16 blues 12 maroons…sent an email. KEEP SAFE..what an adventure.

June 14, 2012 at 6:49 am

2. Naisie

Oh wow – that’s the stuff post cards are made of! Ha ha – what a nightmare having to reverse down that street….I can almost hear your swear words from here :0). I bet the boys thought it was an awesome adventure!

June 14, 2012 at 7:44 am

3. Brenda Black

Oh my goodnes, these photos are amazing – I always love the photos of the familiy! And the pizza!! I love reading your blog everyday , it is so exiciting!!

June 14, 2012 at 8:39 am

4. The Inalds

What a fun trip you’re having!! I think everyone makes mistakes on those narrow roads – that story is very funny. Italian pizzas are the best – definitely an option for every meal!! Yummo
    I love Italy!!
    I love the photos too esp the family pic even if Fish isn’t smiling. I would love to see a smiling photo of Fish!!!

June 14, 2012 at 9:47 am

5. Denise F-C

love the narrow street story – we have a few of those from driving through medievel french towns!!! Amazing how quickly you learn foreign swear words!!!! Ha ha – love the blog and photos – you all look so happy!!!!!
    Fish – those blues .. .. .. wait until next game – Brady!!!!

June 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm

6. Love the pics! You’re doing well with the driving esp in Italy! Did you see the cycle race? Just had lunch with Fi – rode in and back – practising for Holland but more hills here. Keep having fun – you’ll be off to Africa soon – probably come back with the “travel bug”! God bless and much love from Betty Boop and Crazy Grazy (Who’s feeding his face) XX

June 15, 2012 at 2:47 pm

7. The Elands

We all want a piece of that pizza. We also love the photo of Andrew and Elijah. Can’t wait to see a photo of the famous campervan.

June 15, 2012 at 5:48 pm

8. Rod Woodburn

Well I must say mate its interesting reading – I can relate to the tourist thing

June 15, 2012 at 6:17 pm